• PAMBRI graduated from college with flying colors at the height of recession, 2009. Unfortunately stepped off on the wrong foot in her first job. In the transition from being an academic zealot to a real life nut.

  • Guess what? Today marks my 5th month in my fall-back job! Better part? I don't have any complaints! I actually feel guilty about getting paid, knowing (or feeling) I haven’t contributed anything significant to the company yet. You have no idea how long I have been lax in this office and I can say I’ve had enough of it!

    Anyway, a new project was assigned to me a month ago but it only begins today and I kinda feel a tad anxious about working on it. Nonetheless, I was still excited to browse our project’s Sharepoint website to familiarize myself but mostly because I knew my picture would be up in the contact list together with other consultants worldwide.

    Look what I found after the jump!

    *click the image if you need to*


    See the title next to my name? LOL FYI I am not a Business Analyst yetI dont deserve that title, arent I underpaid for that? Ha! Also, please don’t miss the company on the website! Isn’t it ironic, don’t you think?

    In my opinion, job titles are just like labels. Lucky if you're tagged as a high-end brand or you're just another run-of-the-mill employee. It can also make you or break you. And now that I'm at it, I might as well share my friend's story.

    Like me, B started on her new job last Jan 2011. It was in small travel magazine company with opportunities to go places and write as an Editorial Assistant. She hopped jobs in the past year and was hoping this could be it. But on the end of her 1st week, an offer (also as an EA) came from the bigger magazine company she applied to last Nov 2010 and considering their reputation and affiliations, she was instantly torn and eventually decided to leave her new found job. She felt honored to be sought after / "pirated" by this firm.

    (By this time, I also felt like leaving my job due to culture shock but that's another story. )

    She was thrilled and anticipated to be writing for the company's glossies but her tasks never gave a chance. In a nutshell, both companies have Editorial Assistants but basically had different job descriptions. Misleading titles can cost you your career, unfortunately.

    My friend and I concluded that titles are not very reliable and we really have to be cautious when applying for jobs. Searching for a vacancy filters job titles and not the job descriptions so it's never going to be easy.

    Cilck here to read Telegraph UK's top 10 Most Ridiculous Job Titles. DARN!


    Organization charts and fancy titles count for next to nothing.
    Colin Powell

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

    What do you think?

    rss
    rss


    Copyright © 2010 PUTTING UP WITH THE QUARTER LIFE CRISIS All rights reserved.Powered by Blogger.